My Sicilian side has always loved, and appreciated, a good lasagna, so it was one of the first recipes I veganized when I ditched animal products. My recipe is a family favorite, and makes an awesome potluck option, or holiday dish.
- 1 Box of lasagna noodles
- 1 Package of dairy-free mozzarella cheese (I use Earth Island/Follow Your Heart shreds, or the new Daiya cutting board shreds)
- 2 Cups fresh spinach
- 2 Cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 gloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 Jar of spicy pasta sauce – spicy optional 😉
- 1 Can of diced tomatoes
- 1 Package of Gardein Beefless Ground or any plant-based crumble of your choice
- Optional – Vegan Parmesan cheese – for those who like to sprinkle it on the top when it’s served
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F
- Boil a pack of lasagna noodles
- Cook the onion and garlic in a pan until soft (I cook it oil-free with water)
- Add the crumble, pasta sauce, and tomatoes to the pan, and heat
- Start layering and building the lasagna!
- I put a little sauce on the pan before the first layer of noodles. Then alternate layers of the ground and sauce with cheese, noodles, layers of spinach, fresh mushrooms, sauce, and cheese, and so on
- Cover the lasagna with foil
- Cook for approximately 30-45 minutes at 350F
- Remove the foil and cook for 10 more minutes uncovered
If you try my recipe (or any of my other recipes) make sure to tag me on social media @MeatFreeAthlete and use the hashtag #MeatFreeAthlete so I don’t miss it!